Exploring Continental Warranty: Your Complete Guide to Coverage
Updated: August 28th, 2023
Continental Warranty provides protection for your vehicle beyond the manufacturer's warranty, offering a shield against costly repairs and breakdowns. Their comprehensive protection plans cover a wide range of components, including the engine, transmission, and electrical system.
If you're in the market for an auto warranty and are considering Continental Warranty, keep reading for more information on their plans, prices, and customer reviews.
Understanding Continental Warranty Inc.
Continental Warranty has been in business since 1999. With many years of experience in the extended warranty industry, they have built a reputation for providing reliable coverage nationwide. This company was founded in Delaware and has since expanded their services to customers across the country through their dealerships. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given them an A+ rating with accreditation since 2001. In addition to standard coverage options, they offer extra plans that are beneficial to a variety of drivers, including owners of luxury vehicles.
Evaluating the Pros & Cons
Continental's extended auto warranty plans offer coverage for repairs and breakdowns, plus a few more benefits, such as:
- Customizable plans: They offer a wide range of personalized plans with adjustable deductibles and add-ons to meet your individual needs and budget
- Covers luxury cars: They provide coverage for luxury cars such as BMW and Jaguar
- Nationwide protection: They serve their customers everywhere in the USA and Canada
- Transferable plans: If you decide to sell your vehicle, their plans are transferable to the new owner
- A wide range of extra products: They provide you with the option to purchase extra products and plans such as the Power Wrap Program, tire and wheel road hazard coverage, paintless dent repair, and much more
Disadvantages to the warranty
While they do offer a wide variety of coverage options and add-ons, as with any other company, they have their own set of limitations, such as:
- Limited plan information: Their website doesn’t provide a lot of information about each plan, such as prices and what is covered or excluded from coverage
- Only available through dealerships: They aren’t a direct provider of their products, which can only be purchased through third-party providers. This means a longer process to obtain or cancel their contracts
- The majority of the extra benefits are add-ons: Roadside assistance, towing, and rental car reimbursement are add-on services that may incur additional charges. They aren't included as free benefits like other auto warranty companies offer
- No online quote engine: They don’t provide a free quote engine for customers to estimate the cost of coverage online, so you’ll have to call their customer service for an estimate
Continental Warranty’s Plans & Prices
Continental’s extended warranty offers five levels of coverage, from their top-tier Exclusionary Vehicle Service Contract to their entry-level Continental Powertrain. They claim that the majority of their plans have an adjustable deductible to choose from.
Despite the fact that the company doesn’t provide much information about the coverage plans, exclusions, or prices, we have compiled all of the information we found during our research to help you decide.
Here are their five major service contracts:
- Continental Powertrain: This plan covers the most expensive components of your car, including the engine, transmission, and drivetrain
- Continental Plus: This plan covers all components that come with the Continental Powertrain, with added protection for some of the most important components in your vehicle
- Continental Gold: Continental Gold has all the features that come with Continental Powertrain and Continental Plus, along with a stated list of components, including electrical, air conditioning and heating, front suspension, fuel, steering, braking, and module and sensor
- Ultra Care Vehicle Service Contract: This plan covers a wide selection of components that include the following: extended seals and gaskets, plus extended electrical, sensor, and module coverage
- Exclusionary Vehicle Service Contract: If the Ultra Care Vehicle Service Contract doesn't offer all you need, this option can be a good choice for you. It's the customizable edition of Ultra Care with coverage protection that was designed to fit more customers
Depending on the plan you pick, you can also choose from the following add-ons to enhance your coverage:
- Lifetime Powertrain Protection
- GAP Coverage
- Tire and Wheel Road Hazard Coverage
- Paintless Dent Repair
- Windshield and Chip Protection
- Hi-Tech Service Agreements
- Key and Remote Replacement Coverage
- Power Wrap Program
- Full roadside assistance, towing coverage, and rental car reimbursement
- Turbocharger and Supercharger
Their protection plans cover mechanical and electrical breakdowns, with some exclusions, such as any part or component that is subject to normal wear and tear and must be replaced on a regular basis; routine maintenance; repairs required due to collision, accidental impact, fire, modification, abuse, overheating, corrosion, theft, freezing, water damage, vandalism, riot, or using the wrong fuel.
Each plan may also exclude specific items, so it’s important to read the sample contract you receive from the dealership thoroughly before purchasing.
Continental Warranty’s prices
Through our research, we found that the price of coverage ranges between $2000 and $6000 in total, depending on the type of coverage you choose. Monthly installments are usually around $120.
One customer reported having paid $1,449 for three years or 36,000 miles of coverage on his 2012 Ford Explorer XLT, and another paid $3700 for a Power Wrap warranty on their 2017 Jaguar.
It’s important to note that warranty coverage prices depend on the type of coverage as well as the make, model, and year of your vehicle. They also depend on your location and the deductible you choose. To get an accurate quote on your vehicle, the company recommends asking your dealership about their offers.
Is Continental Warranty for You?
With the features and plans that we mentioned, a Continental Warranty is an ideal choice if you:
- Are a luxury car owner: If you own a luxury vehicle or are looking into buying one, this warranty may be a good option for you
- Plan to sell your car: Because of its transferability feature, it can increase the resale value of your vehicle if you decide to sell it
- Frequently travel: If you're on the road a lot, this company might be a good option as it provides coverage in both the US and Canada
Continental Warranty Inc. Reviews
While the company has an A+ BBB rating, it has low customer ratings across many review websites. It has a 1.67 rating on the BBB, a 2.3 rating on Birdeye, and a 1.8 rating on Yelp. According to customer feedback, vehicle owners have mixed feelings about the company. Customers are either pleased that the company saved them money or disappointed that repairs they expected to be covered were denied.
Even though there isn’t much positive feedback available, the ones we did find highlight the company's professional customer service staff, comprehensive coverage, and simple claims process.
On Yelp, one customer stated they bought the warranty for their Acura RLX. They called the claims department when the navigation screen went out, and the company processed the claim without any issues or delay.
Negative reviews, on the other hand, point to a slow claims process and a lack of coverage for common repairs. Most complaints on the BBB website came from customers who were told one thing and then discovered something else, particularly regarding what’s covered. Furthermore, some customers felt that the salesperson did not adequately explain the information in the contracts they received.
One reviewer noted how the terms and conditions of the cancellation policy on their contract were not easy to understand, especially when they wanted to cancel their contract, and the company took 30% of the $3,999 fee they paid at the time of purchase.
Another customer bought an all-inclusive warranty for their 2012 BMW, which had approximately 92,000 miles on it. When the engine failed, they took it to a repair shop, where it was suggested that it be completely replaced. They claimed that the company ordered two out-of-service engines, both of which failed shortly after installation. According to reports, the claims department representative assured them that the new engine would be trouble-free. However, delivery was delayed, and the customer had to pay for labor out of pocket.
We recommend taking both the positive and negative reviews with a grain of salt and conducting your own research by reading all of the reviews available on the BBB website, Yelp, and Birdeye. We also recommend reading the fine print of your auto warranty contract and asking lots of questions before signing. It’s also important to be aware of hidden fees, like an extra charge for a service not initially advertised.
If you’re still unsure about their options and pricing, we recommend reading through our review and blog pages to get a more in-depth look at the specific coverage and pricing plans offered by other alternative companies.
The company has multiple support options on the website to choose from; the staff can be reached via their phone number (800) 265-9136, email [email protected], or you can fill out a form on the website that allows one of the company's agents to contact you. Their working hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. On Saturday and Sunday, they are open 24 hours.
When you need to submit a claim, the repair facility you take your vehicle to should call the claims department at 1-800-265-9136 with a complete estimate of repairs before any work is done on your car.
Continental Warranty coverage provides a good selection of extended plans as well as some optional extras that many drivers may find useful. However, they do have some negative reviews, such as a lack of transparency and a slow reimbursement process.
They offer comprehensive and competitive vehicle service contracts with over 35 years of experience and knowledge. The benefits you will receive as soon as you join the company will include a wide range of services to help you drive with complete confidence and peace of mind. However, due to a lack of information on their website, it is difficult to determine what each plan offers and how much it will cost. It is important to discuss with an agent the details of the coverage before signing up for any plan. Additionally, many customers have complained about the slow reimbursement process, so make sure you understand exactly when and how payments are made before making a decision.
Ultimately, to decide whether they are the right fit for you, consider your circumstances, vehicle type, and preferences. For more information on other options for coverage, we recommend visiting our comparison, review, and blog pages.
Read More on Our Blog
Save Big on Auto Warranty
Fill out a quick form to claim special offers on Auto Warranty