Insperity PEO: Small & Medium Business Advantages
Updated: October 8, 2023
Insperity is a full-service HR solutions provider that is based in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, and was founded in 1986. They have 90 locations nationwide and serve their clients through their software solutions that span human resources, payroll, compliance, talent management, and other associated administrative functions. They also offer consolidated Professional Employer Organization (PEO) services that are tailored to small and medium-sized business (SMB) needs, serving to give them higher-level payroll administration, benefits, onboarding, and everything else you might expect from larger enterprises.
Do Insperity's services address your business's requirements? In this review, we will cover all aspects of their PEO, from features to pricing, suitability, reputation, and client perceptions. Read on to find out if they are a fit.
Insperity PEO at a Glance
Insperity PEO is built on the company's cloud-based platform that delivers HR services for businesses of various sizes, and effectively co-employs their clients' workforce. Their clients are mostly small companies with 5 to 149 employees and midsized companies with 150 to 1000 employees. Their software solution helps business owners by co-managing their employees and keeping an eye on their performance, schedules, time off, and so on.
The PEO services offered by the company include payroll administration, HR administration, worker's compensation, employment law compliance, talent management, business consulting, and more. They also strive to extend Fortune-500-level benefits to their worksite employees, including medical, dental, vision, disability, personal accident, life, and flexible spending account coverage. Through their co-employment services, Insperity can help SMBs with these HR-related activities while saving them money and allowing them to reach top talent and observe employment regulations without having to waste much administrative time.
Their industry reputation is fairly good, with insiders giving them good marks and a few accolades for being a top small business PEO. They are certified by the IRS and feature their certified PEO, or CPEO, status prominently online. They are also accredited by the Employer Services Assurance Corporation (ESAC) and by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which gives the company an A+ rating.
Industries & Business Sizes Served by Insperity PEO
Unlike some of their competitors, Insperity makes it clear that their PEO services are for small to medium-sized businesses (SMBs). They do not specify optimal client sizes or employee ranges, however. On the other hand, they do state that they serve the industries of information technology, manufacturing, nonprofit, healthcare, construction, financial services, retail, consulting, engineering, and legal services.
Insperity PEO Services & Features
Insperity boasts the adaptability of their services, which they maintain must keep up with your ever-growing corporate structure while handling issues related to risk. Their services involve all aspects of HR and include:
- HR administration: Through their solution, they offer streamlined onboarding, employment verification, paid time off (PTO) approval, and reports, as well as access to employee records and pay stubs, W-2s, and benefits information. On top of that, Insperity will set you up with your own client liaison to support you and put you in touch with expert guidance when necessary
- Payroll services: Their software handles all aspects of payroll administration, including processing, deductions, time tracking, and tax compliance. If your employee payroll has child support or levy wage garnishments, Insperity will handle the tracking and appropriate remittance of these considerations
- Employee benefits: They offer competitive benefits found in top businesses, including medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, life, accident, 401(k), health savings accounts, and FSA plans
- Risk management: They provide workers' compensation and liability insurance coverage, as well as supply necessary handbooks. They also handle employee relation matters like termination assistance and claim resolution because these delicate issues require a lot of time and attention
- Talent management: Their experienced recruiters help with finding and vetting the right prospective employees for you. The PEO also offers training through instructor-led online courses, allows you to track peak performance motivation, and offers competitive compensation through their software solution and expert guidance
- Compliance: Through their tools and support, they make sure you stay compliant with workplace standards. They address considerations related to unemployment claims, EEOC, drug-free company policies, SUTA, FICA, and FUTA
Insperity PEO Costs
Insperity does not reveal pricing on its website. However, they generally employ a per-employee monthly fee pricing structure contingent on business size and criteria. Note that PEO costs don't include expenses related to benefits, taxes, healthcare, and other associated plan costs. Also, keep in mind that some services may come as extra paid add-ons, such as organizational planning, expense management, retirement services, and so on. Prospective clients may have Insperity's sales team contact them via their online form or call them directly at 877-213-9123 to inquire about their PEO costs.
Insperity does not require clients to sign for more than a year at a time, especially small business clients with less than 150 employees, and in those cases, you may cancel with a 30-day written cancellation notice only. Remember that midsized clients may require a longer commitment or incur an early termination fee if they cancel.
Insperity PEO Top Perks
If you're on the fence about Insperity as a co-employment solution for your business, perhaps the following advantages will sway you:
- Easy, single platform: All their tools and services are found in their easy, all-in-one software solution that streamlines HR functions to save you time
- Highly scalable: Their services grow with your business, as you can add or subtract the features you need
- Fully credentialed: Unlike some of their competitors, Insperity has full industry credentials. They are NAPEO members and are certified and accredited by the IRS and ESAC, respectively
- HR expertise: They boast a long history of human resource expertise and guidance, with a special focus on midsize company concerns
- Virtual training: They offer many live courses and educational materials designed to grow your workforce's skills and productivity levels
Why You Might Not Choose Insperity
There could also be some reasons why you may not choose this PEO. Some of those are:
- Relatively pricey: Insperity's pricing model and rates lead to costlier services, especially if you include some of the add-on features. Other PEOs could be more cost-effective while offering all the necessary tools right out of the box
- May not suit very small businesses: Not only do they only accept businesses with five employees or more, their services and pricing might be too advanced or prohibitive for smaller businesses that are not yet on solid footing. We think that's the reason Insperity markets PEO services more heavily towards medium-sized businesses
- May take a lot of time to set up: Some report that the software platform takes longer to set up than other PEOs, although it is easy to use and comprehensive when it is up and running
Insperity PEO's Customer Experience
This PEO company does not have much customer feedback written about it online. The little that can be found leans more towards the negative, indicating that customers aren't especially impressed with their services and mostly speak up when they have specifically bad experiences. They get a 5.6 out of 10 review score on TrustRadius, but a better score of 3.8 out of 5 on G2. On Yelp, they hold a poor 1 out of 5 score.
Ease of Use
Reviewers who comment on the usability of the Insperity platform seem to agree that it is fairly easy to use, and say that information is easily accessible on the system. Satisfied users said that onboarding, payroll processing, and compliance were made easy by the PEO software, giving employees many benefits, options, and guidance. Some customers also praised the easy usability of the mobile app, which has a similar user experience to their desktop software.
There were some customers who were critical of the user experience, but even those seemed to be more unhappy with poor customer service and high costs.
Guidance and support
Support is where the majority of critical feedback is focused. Many users seemed to have poor experiences with customer service, and a few said that they had to complete the HR tasks they paid the PEO for themselves. Some reviewers say that Insperity representatives were rude to them, with a few having difficulty receiving full benefits or reimbursement amounts after speaking with them.
That being said, some users were happy with customer service, especially those who had great experiences accessing the system. Satisfied clients said that they were able to connect immediately with their representatives and liked that they were able to call them as opposed to waiting for email replies.
Is it worth it?
Many customers agreed that Insperity's PEO costs were too high and didn't think that they reflected the level of services received. There were clients who thought their healthcare coverage and other benefits were subpar, although customers seemed to think the benefits costs themselves were generally acceptable. However, a few clients stated that the company overcharged them with hidden fees.
There are currently no complaints on BBB about Insperity, so we cannot comment on the company's responsiveness. However, they do occasionally reply to critical reviews, and their responses are brief but professional. They ask the reviewer to contact them via email if they have further issues.
You may contact Insperity Support by filling out a form on their website, after which they will contact you by email or telephone. You may also call them at 1-866-715-3552 if you are an administrator or employee and need help with the Workforce Optimization solution.
They also have support phone numbers and email addresses for specific services:
- Time and attendance: 800-314-8223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organizational planning: 877-222-0499 or email@example.com
- Performance management: 877-222-0499 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Insperity PEO is an all-in-one solution that offers HR services, payroll processing options, benefits administration, employee self-service, and insightful reports. Their cloud-based platform ranks highly for usability and extent of features, and saves you the time-consuming paperwork associated with tasks like onboarding, tax compliance, or detailed report writing.
However, if you're looking to purchase affordable PEO services, Insperity might not be your best option. Users seem to agree that Insperity charges more for their features than others, with many services being paid add-ons, and they aren’t as transparent about their pricing as well. Some users also complain that the PEO's customer service is lacking, and may not be as helpful or responsive as they'd like. Of course, customer experiences varied, and there were also many clients who were happy with Insperity's guidance and support offerings.
If you're still unsure about Insperity, we recommend you compare them against other co-employment providers. If you're in the initial stages of choosing such a company, we also recommend you read our post on how to pick a PEO, then read up about the best PEOs on our reviews page. We're confident you'll find the right management partner for your business.
Save Big on PEO Co-Employment
Fill out a quick form to claim special offers on PEO Co-Employment