Vcruntime140_1.dll Was Not Found [Quick Fix]
What Is Vcruntime140_1.dll?
Reasons Why Vcruntime140_1.dll Is Missing
How to Fix Vcruntime140_1.dll Is Missing Error
You must be here because you're either looking to download the vcruntime140_1.dll file, or you have run into an error that says "vcruntime140_1.dll was not found." Don't worry; you're in the right place! This article will explain what vcruntime140_1.dll is and how you can overcome it and avoid it happening in the future.
When trying to open or run an app on your computer, two of the most common error messages that appear are:
"The program can't start because vcruntime140_1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem," or "The code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140_1.dll was not found. Again, reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
vcruntime140_1.dll is a dynamic link library (DLL) file developed by Microsoft used by applications to run a particular code or launch a number of commands. It is usually referred to as the essential system file of the Windows operating system.
Consequently, when the vcruntime140_1.dll file is missing, users would come across an error that prevents apps from functioning normally. That is because many programs on your device depend on the vcruntime140_1.dll file to operate and function as they are supposed to. But how does this file go missing if it's an essential system file? This article will explain this and more in detail as you read on.
There are many reasons why an error due to the vcruntime140_1.dll missing happens. However, we researched and compiled a list of the most common reasons behind this issue. Here is why your vcruntime140_1.dll file could be missing from your Windows operating device:
- The vcruntime140_1.dll has been corrupted or deleted: This file could have been accidentally deleted from your device, which will definitely cause an issue when trying to run a program that depends on it to function.
- Error with Adobe's Creative Cloud: This issue started occurring after Adobe migrated from Microsoft runtimes to Visual C ++. Adobe has addressed it to cause the vcruntime140_1.dll file is missing error.
- Visual Studio 2015 files are corrupted or missing: The vcruntime140_1.dll files are originally related to Visual Studio 2015. The Visual Studio 2015 files might have been deleted from your computer or have been damaged by an app, malware, or virus.
- Your system is infected with the malware: It could be that your system has been infected by malware, and therefore the vcruntime140_1.dll file on your device has been damaged or corrupted.
- Corrupted system files: System files can be prone to errors and corruption; this especially when you reset Windows 10 or when malicious malware infects your device.
Now that you know all about the reasons this error might occur, it's time to move on to how to fix this issue and prevent it from happening again.
Here are 6 ways in which you can fix the vcruntime140_1.dll is missing error and make sure that it does occur to you again:
- Download the vcruntime140_1.dll file
- Run System File Checker
- Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable
- Update drivers to restore missing vcruntime140_1.dll files
- Reinstall the program that would not run
- Restore the system
This is the first solution to think of when you encounter the vcruntime140_1.dll is missing error. You can download this file from several sites online and for free. However, it is important to mention that there are at least 6 versions of this file and that you need to pick the right one for your computer.
How do you choose the correct version of this file?
To pick the correct version for your computer, you need to go over the description for each version. First, you need to ensure that the language of the version you're downloading is the same as the language of the program you're trying to run. Second, check whether it's a 64- or 32-bit file; it needs to correspond with the program you want to use.
For 64-bit programs, download the 64-bit file, and for 32-bit programs, download the 32-bit file. As for the versions, make sure you've downloaded the most recently updated one, as it is better to do so.
Steps to download the vcruntime140_1.dll file:
- Download the correct version of the vcruntime140_1.dll file.
- Place it in the application or game "Installation" folder or the "Windows system directory" folder.
- Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialogue box. Then type "cmd" in the bar.
- Next, press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to launch the Command Prompt with the administrator's permission.
- Click on the "Yes" button to allow the Command Prompt to make changes on your device.
- Unregister the file first by typing this command regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dll, then pressing Enter.
- Now, you need to register the file again by typing in this command regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dll and pressing Enter.
- Close Command Prompt and try running the application you were trying to open and see if the problem is solved. If not, try one of the other methods mentioned in this article.
System file checker (SFC scan) is a tool available by default on Windows 10. It's basically the faster way in which you can fix corrupt files on your computer. In order for you to do that, follow these steps:
- First, press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialogue.
- Type "cmd" in the search bar and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run the Command Prompt with the administrator's permission.
- Allow the Command Prompt to make changes to your computer.
- Type in this command sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for the system file checker to finish scanning your computer. Then, if it finds any errors, they'll be automatically fixed by the SFC scan.
As we mentioned above, vcruntime140_1.dll files originally relate to Visual Studio 2015, so to fix this problem, you need to start at the root of it. Here is how to reinstall Visual C ++ Redistributable to fix Visual Studio 2015:
- Go to Microsoft.com, then head to the Visual C ++ Redistributable download page.
- Choose your language (it needs to correspond with your program's language), then click "Download."
- You'll have two options: "vc_redist.x64.exe." and "vc_redist.x86.exe." If your system is 64-bit, choose the first option, and if your system is 32-bit, choose the latter option.
- Now click on "Next" and wait for it to finish downloading.
- Open the file you downloaded and check the “I agree to the license terms and conditions” option, then click on "install."
- Wait for the installation to finish, then restart your computer. Once your device is on again, check if the program you're trying to run functions normally.
You need to update your operating system's drivers in order to restore deleted or missing vcruntime140_1.dll files. That can be done in a few easy steps:
- Go to Taskbar's search box and type Device Manager, then click on it.
- Select a category to look at the devices' names.
- Right-click the drive that needs to be updated.
- Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software."
- Select "Update Driver."
You can resort to this method if the other methods do not work. For example, the program files might be corrupted, so you can reinstall it to fix the issue.
Here's how you can reinstall the program that would not run:
- From the start menu or by pressing Windows + I to open the "Settings."
- Click on "Apps."
- Look for the application you're having trouble with and click on it. The "Uninstall" option will appear; click on it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the application is completely removed.
- Reinstall the application and try to launch it to see if the problem has been solved or not.
Restoring the system is useful to fix the corrupt vcruntime140_1.dll files. This will restore your windows to a date when these files were not damaged. So, in order for you to do that, follow the following steps:
- Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialogue.
- Type "true" in the bar and hit Enter. It will open the system recovery utility.
- If the "System Restore" window has the "Choose a different restore point," open, choose it, and click Next.
- Select a date to restore Windows 10 to.
- Click "Next" and then "Finish" to confirm the restore point.
The issue should be resolved once your computer reboots.
Many Windows 10 users complain that getting the vcruntime140_1.dll was not found, which can be quite frustrating when trying to launch an app. This article explains what this error is, why it might occur to you, and how to fix it in a few steps, so you never have to see it again.
All of the methods we mentioned above are effective and easy to perform. If none of them work, you might be facing a bigger system issue that needs a technician to solve.