Best Free Antiviruses for your Mac in 2021
I’ve been a MacBook user for 10 years now, and I’ve always thought MacBook’s don’t get viruses. That, my friends, isn’t true. While MacBook’s are less likely to get viruses compared to Windows, they still do. That’s why Apple continuously works on updating their software and stopping any malware from affecting their user’s data. Despite all of these security features, I felt like it’s not enough to encrypt my data. Instead, I decided to download a free antivirus to protect my Mac. So, if you’re on a budget looking for a great free Antiviruses, keep reading.
The Security Features Available on Your Apple Device
Apple goes to great lengths to protect your device from any virus; they have built-in anti-malware protection in their software. Some of these features include:
- Anti-malware protection in macOS, called Xprotect, which works automatically without any interference
- Password Manager
- Parental Control
- Anti-phishing software included with Safari; it’ll display a warning sign for you to decide if you want to visit the page.
- “Find My” software to locate any Apple device if lost.
- MacOS blocks any software that isn’t signed with Apple- Apple has to approve the developer first.
- FileVault 2 to encrypt your files and make sure they’re safe
- If you download a malicious file, a warning will pop up to delete it.
- List of malicious apps that Apple checks against when you open downloaded apps
All of these are excellent security features to keep your device safe, but it’s sometimes better to go the extra mile to be safe.
Why Download an Antivirus on Your Mac?
Every now and then, a new virus is developed, and Apple’s security measures fail to protect your device. At the same time, users are encouraged to report any security flaw and based on a specific criterion, Apple reward the user with a certain amount of money. As a result, Apple tries to respond as quickly as possible. In some cases, it might be too late, and your device would be hacked. In that case, your device might be slowed down, or your information might be leaked into the internet. Therefore, it’s better to download a specialized antivirus to protect your Mac from any virus and make sure you’re safe.
The best thing you can do is download an Antivirus to protect your sensitive information. Antiviruses help encrypt your data and warn you against any virus or any cyber-attacks. By downloading a free antivirus, you will get basic malware protection and simple scanning to ensure everything is in order. You’ve got nothing to lose.
Be careful though!
It’s not easy to find a free antivirus for Macs. Many free antiviruses are spyware; they end up stealing your information. That’s why it’s better to download software that is tested and safe. That’s why we’re here to tell you all about the secure free antiviruses to download.
If you’re looking for more advanced features like ransomware protection, you might want to invest in a paid antivirus.
Top 4 Free Antiviruses for Mac
We’ve got the solution to your problem. We have listed our top 4 safe and free antiviruses for Mac. That’s right, absolutely free. Let’s explore our options:
1. Sophos Home Free
Sophos Home Free is our top pick for you if you’re looking to download a free antivirus. Sophos Home Free offers:
- Real-time antivirus feature: to protect against ransomware and viruses.
- Simple parental control option: Filter content and block inappropriate content
- Web-based: Some features are controlled through their online dashboard
- WebCam Protection: Blocks access to websites that contain malware
- Remote Management: You can secure devices from the online dashboard from anywhere.
You’ll be happy to know that the installation process is fast and easy. You’ll have to fill out some information like your name and email address before downloading the program. However, you only get access to their premium support for the first 30 days.
The German Antivirus, Avira, is one of the best Antivirus on the market. Its free version is one of the well-known in the market for:
- Real-time scanner: Runs continuously in the background and protects your device from any virus.
- Avira’s Browser Safety: A plug-in for browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and Opera) blocks any phishing websites and checks for any suspicious links in social networks and emails.
On the side, you can download:
- Avira’s free Phantom VPN: Limited to 500MB/month to browse the internet privately.
While if you’re using their free version, you will get limited support. It won’t be a problem because the Avira antivirus is easy to set up and use. After installation, you’ll need a couple of clicks, and you’re ready to go.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use virus scanner with excellent security, TotalAV is what you’re looking for. Even its free Mac Cleaner is impressive; it has a variety of tools to protect your device:
- User-friendly application
- Antivirus protection- Quick and full system scan
- Removes duplicates and junk files
- System Boost included
- Improves browser performance (Speed)
The downside of using TotalAV’s free plan is there’s no real-time protection, but there’s a 7-day free trial, so you can try and see if TotalAV’s premium plans are better for you.
If you feel overwhelmed and prefer contacting customer support, you can try contacting them via live chat, email, or phone. The good news is their phone support is available 24/7, so you can contact them whenever.
Bitdefender is one of the best premium antiviruses, but what about the free version? The Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac lets you scan the whole system or specific locations as follows:
- Critical Locations Scan: Temporary files, mail, and downloads for any suspicious files
- Deep System Scan: Scan your entire system
- Custom Location Scan: Select the files you want Bitdefender to scan
Bitdefender will constantly check for any malware and will disinfect or quarantine any suspicious files. The best part is it won’t slow down your Mac, and it has a user-friendly interface, so you can easily navigate. However, it only offers basic protection and would annoy you to upgrade to a paid plan.
All in all, while I think it’s better to download a paid antivirus to have access to more options, the free version will still help us in the meantime. Depending on the features you need, our 4 picks (Sophos, Avira, Bitdefender, & TotalAV) offer different features in their free plan. For instance, if you decide to use Avira’s free version, you’ll get access to a 500MB VPN/month, which isn’t available in other free antiviruses. And maybe later you’ll decide to upgrade to their premium plan.
Either way, it’s your move.
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Services in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with every plan
- Anti-Phishing and anti-fraud protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Safe Online Banking and interactions
- Award-winning antivirus
- Password manager
- Cross-device protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats
- Excellent virus detection
- Ransomeware protection
- Includes VPN