Best Antivirus for Macs: Who Said MacBook’s Don’t Get Viruses?
If you’re a MacBook user, you’ve probably heard the cliché “MacBooks don’t get viruses.” But did you ever question if it’s true? If I’m being honest here, I’m a MacBook user myself, and I found out that MacBook’s are less likely to get viruses than Windows, but they do get viruses. Even though Macs have plenty of security features, you still need to download an antivirus for Macs.
You probably have a lot of questions… Doesn’t Apple do anything to protect my computer?
Why do I need an antivirus for Macs?
Which antivirus should I download?
No need to panic; keep reading, and I’ll tell you everything you need to know.
How Apple Protects my Computer?
Apple includes many features found in antivirus programs like the password manager, some parental controls, and more. They go to great lengths to protect your device from any virus; they built anti-malware protection into macOS. These include:
- Anti-malware protection in macOS
- Mac includes a malware scanning tool, Xprotect, works automatically without any user interference.
- List of malicious applications that apple checks against when you open downloaded apps
- Password Manager
- Parental Control
- If you download a malicious file, you’ll get a warning message to delete the file.
- MacOS blocks any software that isn’t digitally signed with Apple -Apple usually approves the developer.
- There’s an anti-phishing software in Safari to detect any suspicious website, it’ll display a warning, and you’ll decide if you want to visit the website.
- There’s a FileVault 2 to encrypt your files and make sure they’re safe
- “Find My” software to locate any of your missing devices.
This is a great benefit compared to Windows since antivirus protection is already part of your operating system so that it won’t affect your computer in anyway.
How Does Apple Deal With any Threats?
From time-to-time, Apple’s security measures fail. Despite them having a security research team but users can report any security flaw. That’s not all, but reporting issues based on a certain criterion, Apple will reward you with a certain amount depending on the seriousness of the flaw. All of this helps making Apple products safer for their customers.
Why Use an Antivirus for Macs?
While Apple tries to respond as quickly as possible, but that’s not always the case. You never know when your device is hacked with your information all over the internet or suddenly slowed down due to a certain malware. Hence, it’s better to download a specialized antivirus to protect your Mac from any program and make sure everything is in order.
The best course of action is to download an antivirus to protect your sensitive information, including your credit card details. Antiviruses will warn you against any viruses or if anyone is trying to steal your private information. By downloading the best antivirus for Macs, you’ll benefit from many advanced features like a free VPN and parental control depending on the antivirus you choose, as well as excellent security features (antivirus scanner, real-time protection, etc.). This way, you’ll stop worrying if any website isn’t safe, and you’ll be able to enjoy your time while browsing the internet. Plus, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Finding the Best Antivirus for Macs
Not all antiviruses work on Macs; that’s why you’re here. However, how are you going to decide which one is the best for you? It all depends on the features available, ease of use, price, and the effect on the system’s performance. Let’s take a look and see the top antiviruses for Macs:
Intego is well-known to be the best antivirus for Mac users. Originally created in 1977 for Mac users, Intego created their first antivirus software, Rival, for Mac OS 8. They offer their customers the perfect antivirus package; it includes reliable and proficient real-time protection against malware, viruses, and any cybersecurity threat. That doesn’t mean they don’t offer Antivirus software for Windows, but we’re not here for that.
Intego is known for:
- Excellent malware protection
- High security and reliability level
- Real-time protection
- Good value for the quality and quantity of features included
- Excellent customer support
- Straightforward and intuitive interface and design.
If you’re a Mac user, we highly recommend it. After all, they have been doing this for the past 24 years. Despite its easy setup, if you feel like you need to contact an agent via phone, email, or live chat. That’s not all! They’re available in several languages during specific hours.
The only downside is that it doesn’t include any native browser plugins. Are you still not sure it’s the one for you? There’s a 30-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s your move.
2. Norton 360
Norton 360 is our top antivirus. Not only does it include excellent malware scanning, unlimited VPN, Password Manager, but all its plans work perfectly on Macs. Here’s why it’s our number #1 antivirus for macs:
- Excellent malware detection
- It’s lightweight and won’t impact the system performance
- Advanced features: an unlimited and secure VPN and a password manager
- Two-way firewall and optimizes your device.
The only downside of using Norton 360 is that parental control and cloud storage are not supported on Macs. The prices are a bit expensive compared to other antiviruses, ranging between $39.99-69.99/year depending on the plan you choose. Try it for free for the first 7 days or get a refund after 60-days if it’s not the one for you.
With over 500 million users in 150 countries, Bitdefender is a light, fast, strong, and easy-to-use antivirus. That’s the not only reason you should use Bitdefender for your device:
- Easy to use interface
- Perfect malware detection and ransomware protection
- Unnoticeable impact on the device’s system
- VPN included
- Parental Control
There’s a Time Machine backup extension to add to your web browser, 200MB of free VPN data daily. Other than that, unlike Norton, you can use Bitdefender’s parental control on your Mac.
The only downside of using Bitdefender is that it’s a bit overpriced with one plan for Macs starting from $29.99, and they continuously try to upsell their unlimited VPN. Still, that shouldn’t stop you from downloading it as it offers a lot more than this. Give it a try; there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Overall, there are plenty of other antiviruses that work on Macs, but we have chosen the top three. Intego, Norton 360, and Bitdefender offer different features, but all work perfectly to protect your device from any problem it might face. While Apple provides its own security features, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Services in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with every plan
- Anti-Phishing and anti-fraud protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Safe Online Banking and interactions
- Award-winning antivirus
- Password manager
- Cross-device protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats
- Excellent virus detection
- Ransomeware protection
- Includes VPN