4 Best Free iOS Antivirus Apps in 2021
My father's iPhone has recently caught a virus. The virus has constantly been adding reminders into his calendar and accessing his data, which is very unsafe. Although it's not common that your iOS device gets infected, it turns out it happens. That's why it's always better to take an extra step and be safe by downloading an iOS antivirus app.
iOS Security Features
If you're an iPhone user, you're probably familiar with the security features available. Some security features make our lives easier. Let's take a look:
- Password Manager: The password manager saves all your passwords and autofill credentials when logging into certain accounts. It also warns you of easy passwords when opening the password settings.
- Face ID: No one can open your device; they'll either need a pin code or your face ID.
- Two-factor Authentication autofill: When you have a two-factor authentication code, Apple helps you by having the autofill option.
- Control apps: Turn off the camera, microphone, location, and other options when using an application. All can be controlled from the settings.
- Silence unknown callers
- "Find my" app: In case your device is lost, you can track it down using the 'find my' app where you log in using your Apple ID and locate the missing device.
- Deletes data if the password is entered wrong 10 times: That's right, your data will be deleted if the password was entered wrong 10 times in a row.
All these are excellent features, and there are many more, but it doesn’t mean they’re enough to keep you safe.
So Why Download an Antivirus?
Before getting into all the details, it's important to note that iOS antivirus apps cannot scan for antivirus. Why? Simply because Apple apps are "Sandboxed," which means they can't access data from other apps.
You'll still need an antivirus, though, for cybersecurity reasons. These include:
- For protection against phishing: To avoid phishing websites that trick you into giving them some information.
- For protection against unsecured networks: Devices can be hacked when connected to unsafe networks.
- In case your phone is stolen or lost.
Despite all the security features offered, it doesn't mean cybercriminals don't find a way to hack your device through phishing sites and end up stealing your data. That's when an antivirus comes to the rescue. And if you don't want to pay for one, you don't have to; you'll get the essential cybercriminal protection from the free version.
Best 4 Free iOS Antivirus Softwares
1. Avira Mobile Security
Avira is one of the top 10 antiviruses as ranked by Several.com. It's fast, straightforward, and reliable. That's not enough to tell us about Avira and iOS devices, so what's the deal when it comes to iOS devices. Let's start by saying it's completely free, and it offers excellent features with the free plan. These include:
- Blocks Phishing Websites: To keep you safe from cybercriminals trying to steal your information.
- Avira Connect: Avira's dashboard has an anti-theft tool that allows you to locate your device if stolen, send an alert, and download other Avira apps.
- Password Manager: Create strong passwords and let Avira's password manager autofill your credentials when logging into an account.
- Device Analyzer: To improve performance by freeing some space.
- Contacts Backup: Has a copy of your contacts list to make sure you can contact them if your device is lost.
- Identity Safeguard: Checks your email's security data and if it has been stolen.
- Call Blocker: Prevent unwanted callers from calling you.
- VPN: Browse the internet anonymously with their 500 MB of data per month.
The only downside is you'll have to download these features separately. If you want to upgrade, the premium plan works on up to 4 devices, which is a great benefit. Overall, it offers great features without you having to pay for it.
2. McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee is another one of our top 10 antiviruses; it's well-known worldwide. It has excellent Mobile Security for iOS. It includes the following:
- Locate your device: If your device is stolen or lost, you can access your device's location by accessing your McAfee account using another device. You can even make it have a loud noise using the 'remote alarm' feature or try locating it on a map, just like the 'Find My' app on your iOS device.
- CaptureCam: If your device is stolen, it takes a picture of the person trying to access it and emails it to you with the device's location.
- Media Vault: Protection for your photos and videos by adding an additional pin. It'll automatically save photos and videos if you want to.
- Backup, Wipe, & Restore: Backup, wipe, and restore your contact list if someone steals your device.
All these features are provided with McAfee for free. So why not download it? Their paid plans are even better, starting from $24.99/year, and have more features than what's offered with their free plan. Give it a try; there's a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You've probably heard of Kaspersky before; it's known for Windows and Android devices. It has recently created its own iOS antivirus, Kaspersky Security Cloud Free for iOS. It includes the following features:
- VPN: a 300 MB/day with a no-logs policy so no one will track your history.
- Password manager: It saves 15 login credentials and generates complex passwords.
- Dark Web Scan: Scans if any of your accounts are not secured and are found on the web.
Overall, it's a good iOS antivirus, and the VPN accesses geo-blocked content; you don't get that advantage for free with just any antivirus.
4. Phone Guardian
Our fourth and last recommendation for an iOS antivirus for your device is Phone Guardian. We use our phones nowadays for everything; it has all our passwords, credit card information and other personal information. Phone Guardian focuses on protecting any data that's leaving your device. It offers the following features:
- VPN: Access the internet anonymously, and have your data be encrypted if your device is stolen and connect to a secure server. Even if the data is decrypted, they won't be able to read it.
- Protects personal information: Informs you if any apps are using your personal information.
The downside of the 'protecting personal information' is Phone Guardian does something similar. It collects data about app usage and sells it for market research, but it's anonymous, so you don't have to worry about advertisers' access to your information.
It's better to take that extra step and be safe by securing your device with an iOS antivirus than getting your data stolen and regretting it later. I have downloaded the Avira Mobile Security for my dad, and it has been great. We're even thinking of upgrading to the premium version.
Keep your device safe by downloading one of the top 4 mentioned above; you won't pay a penny. However, if you decide to upgrade, you'll benefit from better security and features. It's your choice.
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Services in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with every plan
- Anti-Phishing and anti-fraud protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Safe Online Banking and interactions
- Award-winning antivirus
- Password manager
- Cross-device protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats
- Excellent virus detection
- Ransomeware protection
- Includes VPN