How to Fix Overwatch Packet Loss
Choose your hero and finish the map-based tasks within a limited duration with the cross-platform video game Overwatch. The game was first released in 2016 and is compatible with multiple platforms, including Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Windows. Sadly, many players struggle with the packet loss issue, and even though there are some ways to avoid packet loss, you can't guarantee that they're going to work every time. That's why you need to read our blog; it'll show you how to fix Overwatch packet loss using the most effective ways.
The multiplayer game was developed by Blizzard Entertainment and has received great popularity since its release in 2016. The vast majority of its audience are teens, but it's enjoyed by players from different age categories.
The game is played by a first-person shooter representing a part of a team of six heroes. The game is even greatly enjoyable because of offering multiple gaming modes, fight areas, and characters. You can choose among three different types of characters: Support heroes, Tank heroes, and Damage heroes; each has a role in the game, from shooting, absorbing damage, and supporting other players.
Overwatch Packet Loss Issues
In a game such as Overwatch, any lag or drop in the connection can get you shot by a player of the opposite team. The game is fast-paced and requires always being focused and aware of your enemies' positions and tactics. That's why Overwatch packet loss is one of the most annoying issues when playing this game or any other game that requires a stable internet connection.
The data packet loss happens when your internet fails to deliver a packet of data on time to the desired destination, which increases your internet latency and slows down your connection. The problem with the data packet loss is the lags resulting from not delivering data to the destination. Consequently, losing your excitement to play the game because of the continuous lagging issues.
There are many scenarios why you keep facing data loss while playing video games; the main ones can be network congestion, poor internet connection, software bugs, and hardware issues.
However, there are some tips to avoid losing data packets while playing Overwatch. Here are the most effective ones.
Tips to Avoid Overwatch Packet Loss
The lack of an immediate solution to fix data loss when playing your favorite game is a real struggle for many gamers. However, you can follow these tips to avoid the problem:
1. Check the game's settings:
- Head off to the "Settings" tab in the game and make sure to enable "Display Performance Stats."
- Make sure to enable the "Network Latency" and "Network Delay" options.
- Enable "Network quality settings" from the Gameplay tab.
These indicators will definitely help you find why you're struggling with poor internet connection and packet loss. Once you know what is causing the problem, it gets easier to solve it.
2. Use Ethernet cable: The Ethernet cable keeps your internet connection stable and guarantees better data packets delivery to the destination. It's also more secure and provides a more reliable internet connection.
3. Visit Downdetector to check your server's efficiency; since your device might not be the problem, you'll need to check if the server is working properly.
4. Check your game's files and if they need an update. You can use the "Scan and Repair" option to check any corrupted or missing files.
5. Check your connection's speed by visiting (www.speedtest.com). It should show you the upload and download speed. It is also helpful to see if your network struggles with any latency issues, which might cause packet loss.
6. In your taskbar search, look for the temporary files folder and delete the files inside it; this should make your connection work more efficiently.
7. Use a VPN service: Although some people say that using a VPN might affect your internet connection and cause data packet loss, some VPN services can be very helpful to overcome latency issues. It is also recommended to get a secure and private internet connection. We'll talk more in detail about this point in the following section.
We Recommend These VPNs to Fix Packet Loss
Regarding the claim that some VPN services slow down your internet connection and cause data packets loss, this can be true about many VPN services. However, using a good VPN service can be helpful to prevent data packet loss and reduce latency, too.
Using a reliable VPN service with a good number of servers solves Overwatch packet loss issues if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth or if it's caused by network congestion.
Safety is also a must when playing video games to prevent other players from unveiling your real IP address and location, which saves you a lot of headaches and prevents cyberattacks, especially DDoS attacks, which are the most common type when playing video games.
You'll need to get a reliable and secure VPN service with a decent number of servers and trusted security features. We did our tests, comparisons, and research before bringing these VPN services for you. On top of that, and to guarantee your satisfaction, we made sure to bring you VPNs that provide a money-back guarantee, too.
ExpressVPN has more than 3000 servers distributed in over 94 countries and is very secure using 256-bit encryption and a kill switch to prevent any data leak when your connection to the internet stops or fails for any reason.
It also has specialized servers for gaming that are both fast and secure. Moreover, you'll never struggle with hackers and snoopers since it implements the most secure and top-notch security procedures.
- The 1-month subscription for $12.95
- The 6-month subscription for $9.99/month
- The 12-month subscription for $6.67/month + 3 free months
It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee; therefore, you can test it for a few weeks without taking any risk.
NordVPN has 5537 servers in 59 countries and plenty of security features, including but not limited to a kill switch, military-grade 256-bit encryption, and a secure location in Panama.
Using NordVPN guarantees a lag-free gaming experience that is also secure and private, thanks to NordVPN's security procedures and specialized gaming servers. This should also be enough to overcome Overwatch packet loss issues.
NordVPN offers three subscriptions: Monthly for $11.95, 1-year for $4.92/month, and 2-year subscription for $3.71/month.
The great news is that it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all its plans.
CyberGhost has specialized servers for gaming, which solves the Overwatch packet loss problem and makes it impossible to be a victim of cyberattacks. If you want to read more about how important it is to use a trusted VPN when playing video games, you can read our blog post on VPN and Gaming.
CyberGhost allows you to access many streaming services, like Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, ESPN, Hulu, Kodi, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and HBO Max, besides offering more than 6,700 servers in 90 different countries.
Let's take a look at CyberGhost's plans and prices:
- 1-month: $12.99/month
- 3-year: $2.25/month- billed $87.75 every three years. (Save 83%)
- 12-month: $3.99/month- billed $47.88 every year
CyberGhost also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Overwatch is one of the most enjoyed video games that allow many playing modes, characters, and many other advanced options regarding the graphic quality and render scale. However, gamers struggle with packet loss issues which aren't very pleasant when playing action and fast-paced video games.
We hope you find our suggestions helpful to solve the problem and enjoy your gaming experience.
To summarize, these are the best VPN Services in 2021…
- Great for streaming
- Stable server speeds
- 45-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access
- 10 Simultaneous connections
- Large server network
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Responsive customer support
- Reliable encryption
- Military-grade AES-256-bit encryption
- Built-in WireGuard protocol
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Military-grade AES-256-bit encryption
- No-log policy
- P2P optimized servers