Best VPN on TV: How to Install and Set Up
Television isn’t dying; it’s evolving with the world to suit the needs of its audience. Nowadays, people can watch tv anywhere; all they need is a device, whether television or phone, with their favorite streaming network. Unfortunately, not everything you want to watch is available in your country. Luckily, there’s an easy solution, downloading a VPN and accessing geo-blocked content privately. You can easily download it on your phone and computer, but what happens if you want to access Netflix on your tv? Can you install a VPN on TV, and how?
To answer your question, Yes, You can!
To know how to download a VPN on TV, keep reading, and you’ll find out.
Why Download a VPN on TV?
It’s frustrating not to be able to access content that isn’t available in your country: your favorite television show or the latest releases. What’s worse is that some streaming services are available only in one or two regions. For instance, Hulu is only available in the United States and Japan, some BBC channels are only available in the UK.
This sad truth applies to all devices, phones, computers, and even smart TVs. That’s when VPN saves us. VPN is a virtual private network that people use to protect their data and surf the internet anonymously. It lets you access geo-blocked content in your country, including certain apps, or even TV shows and movies available on Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services, depending on the VPN you use. How? By connecting you to a server in another country, so you’ll access more content.
Since most streaming services block VPNs, you need to find one that won't give you the proxy message seen below:
That’s why find a reliable VPN service.
How to Download and Set Up a VPN on TV?
The only problem is Smart TVs differ from one another. Some allow unrestricted access to app stores; others only include pre-approved apps, so it’s hard to download a VPN. That’s why we’re here to help you access a VPN on your stream.
If your Smart TV uses Android, you installing a VPN on TV is a piece of cake. It’s like downloading an app on your phone. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Signup for the VPN of your choice.
- Install the app on your tv from the Google Play Store.
- Log in to your account and connect to the server of your choice.
- Enjoy the geo-blocked content on the app of your choice. If it doesn’t work, try connecting to a different server.
Don’t worry if your smart TV doesn’t have a Google Play Store; there’s still a way to set up a VPN on TV. There are three ways to do so, using Ethernet, Wirelessly, or through your home router. Let’s take a look if that’s the case:
1. Using Ethernet
The quickest and easiest way to set up a VPN on your tv is using an Ethernet cable from one device to the other. However, it’s not the most practical way, but if you only use it occasionally, then you’re good to go.
Ethernet on Windows 10:
- Open your Network and Internet Settings
- Press on Change adapter options
- You’ll find a list of your connections; look for the one that mentions your VPN and the word ‘TAP’ next to it.
- Open this connection’s Properties
- Open the Sharing tab and choose to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- From the dropdown list, choose Ethernet and then press OK
- Connect to your VPN
- Connect the Ethernet cable to both devices, and the VPN is supposed to work automatically.
Ethernet on MacOS:
- Open your System Preferences and click Sharing
- Check the Internet Sharing box on the left
- If the device with the VPN is connected to the internet via Ethernet, press the Ethernet in the Share your connection from the dropdown menu. Or choose Wi-Fi.
- In the “To computers using” box, check Ethernet
- Then try connecting to your VPN
- Connect the device to the cable, and the second device will connect to the VPN automatically.
2. Using Wi-Fi
If you want to connect your VPN often, it would be hectic to use an Ethernet cable. As a result, it would be easier for you to connect a VPN through a Wi-Fi connection.
Using Wi-Fi on Windows 10:
Windows 10 has made things easier for everyone. To connect a VPN using a wireless connection on Windows, follow these steps:
- Open Network & Internet Settings
- Select Mobile hotspot from the list on the left.
- Turn on the Mobile hotspot, then select Wi-Fi in the Share my Internet connection from the dropdown.
- If you want to change the network’s name or password, press Edit and change what you want.
- Scroll down and press Change adapter options
- Find the adaptor that mentions your VPN and the word ‘TAP’ next to it.
- Select Properties, go to the Sharing tab, and choose Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- From the dropdown list, choose the network you created and then press OK
- Connect your device to the VPN, and on your second device, connect to your new network, and you’ll be good to go.
Using Wi-Fi on macOS:
- Open System Preferences, then Sharing
- Check the Internet Sharing box on the left
- Choose your VPN adapter in the Share your connection from the list
- Choose Wi-Fi from the box on the right market “To computers using”
- Connect your computer to the VPN and connect your second device to the hotspot you just created.
3. Home Router
Another option you have is installing a VPN on your router, which will protect all your devices. This process is complicated unless you have a router with compatible firmware. Still, any wrong move while upgrading your firmware can break your router.
Depending on the VPN you choose, you can read the setup instructions to guide you throughout the way. Another option you have is purchasing a pre-installed VPN router that works instantly. All you have to do is choose a server to connect to.
What Am I Looking for In a VPN on TV?
Depending on the Smart TV you have, you can decide which way to connect your VPN to it. What’s left are the features you can benefit from when connecting your VPN. Here’s a list of the essential features:
- Multiple Server Locations: To bypass blocked content in more than one country depending on what you’re looking for.
- Fast Speed: So you don’t suffer from buffering or connectivity issues.
- Top-notch Security: Although unnecessary, it can be beneficial to have your data encrypted and have some privacy. The best VPNs usually include the top-notch security you’re looking for.
- Variety of streaming features: Different features that can help you enjoy better streaming. These include automatic server settings and extra features for devices that don’t support VPN
- Works with your router: A router with compatible firmware and a VPN with customer support to guide you along the way.
- User-friendly Android Apps: to easily connect to your smart TV.
The question remains which VPNs are the best for smart TVs? Take your time and choose one of our top 4 VPNs that work perfectly on Smart TV.
Best VPN on TV That Work
Yay! You’re still with us to see the best VPNs for smart TVs. Let’s take a look:
NordVPN is the best VPN service that we ranked it #1 here on several for many reasons:
- Excellent security and privacy features
- 5513 Servers in 59 countries
- Fast and stable connection speeds
- No strict log in policy
All these features are essential when putting VPN on TV. With NordVPN, you can access almost everything online, including Netflix. Their SmartPlay option helps you securely access geo-blocked content. Making it a reliable VPN for anyone. NordVPN uses AES 256-bit encryption to hide your information, which is the most secure encryption available on the market.
You can easily download the Android app on your TV, so you can use it to surf your web or watch geo-blocked content privately. If you need to set it up or connect it to your router, you can check out NordVPNs' knowledge base to guide you and walk you through the process, or you can contact their customer support via live chat available 24/7.
All that, and it offers affordable prices starting from $3.71 for two years with three months for free. Give it a try; there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Try Nord for Free for 30 Days!
Another top pick for you to access geo-blocked content through your TV is Express VPN. It’s one of the best for several reasons, which include:
- Fast and consistent speed
- No data logs saved
- More than 3000 servers in 160 server locations in 94 countries
Using ExpressVPN, you can access Netflix US, UK, Canada, Portugal, or the Middle East. This way, you’ll use the internet safely while accessing more content. All that and its annual plan is only for $6.67/month with 3 months for free. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
So, how to connect it to your smart TV?
You can download their ExpressVPN Android app if you can or use ExpressVPN’s custom firmware to set it to your router. If your router is incapable of handling it, you can try the normal configuration.
That’s not all. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer is an advanced proxy service that allows users to access their favorite shows in different regions faster without encrypting their online traffic. You can set it up either from the website or through tweaking your router.
Don’t worry if you don’t know what to do; you can contact ExpressVPNs customer support to walk you through anything you need.
CyberGhost is our third best choice. The best part of using CyberGhost is that it has more than 6,700 servers in 90 different countries. So other than that, you’ll get:
- Decent and stable server speeds
- Multi-platform support
- Optimized servers for various uses
- Smart TV app and router guides included
Using CyberGhost’s smart TV app is as easy as pie. It’s better if your TV can run one of CyberGhost’s apps available on Android TVs and Fire OS devices. This would give you access to thousands of servers and a dedicated streaming profile. This way, you’ll be able to watch anything you want online.
If your smart TV can’t download apps, you can still install CyberGhost on your router. The best part is it can be downloaded on various routers, and there are step-by-step tutorials to guide you. If you need more help, feel free to contact an agent via live chat, which is available 24/7.
We highly recommend it if you’re looking for an easy-to-use VPN. Their three-year plan starts from $2.25/ month and a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. Give it a try if you’re a beginner and can’t find your favorite show anywhere.
Last but not least, Surfshark is our 4th choice. If you’re on a budget trying to find a VPN, Surfshark is perfect for you. It has the following features:
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Well-designed application across all platforms
- Strong and reliable encryption
- Works on many streaming services
- A large number of servers across 65 countries.
Surfshark is an excellent choice for television VPN; it works on any smart TV model. Whether through the app or router setup, you’ll get everything you need from it. With Surfshark, you’ll be able to access Netflix and other streaming services. If there’s anything you don’t understand, you can contact their customer support.
The only disadvantage of using Surfshark is you might want to change servers several times to get a connection and unblock content. Try it today; their 2-year plan comes with three free months only for $2.21 per month. The good news is you can try it for free for the first 7 days, and you can get a full refund after 30 days if you didn’t like it.
It’s pretty cool that you can connect a VPN on TV to watch your favorite shows, isn’t it? Whether you use Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or your Router, you will be able to browse geo-blocked content safely. Depending on the VPN you’re using, you will have access to many features, including multiple servers, smart tv apps, fast speed, and great security. Our top four favorites were:
Choose one that suits you and let us know what you think when you install a VPN on TV.