uShip Auto Transport Review: Is It Worth It?
uShip Auto Transport Review: Is It Worth It?
uShip has been in the field since 2003, and apparently, it has made a huge success gaining people's satisfaction. The company could serve 6 million shipping customers by far, offering 41,000 service providers and multiple shipping services, including vehicles, household items, heavy equipment, freight, pets, and many others.
It might be hard to make the decision with all these auto transportation services around. At several.com, we review several auto transportation services allowing readers to compare and find the one for them. For this article, we'll be listing out all you need to know about uShip auto transport to make your decision with confidence.
uShip transports your vehicle with total safety and offers services for both individuals and businesses, making it a convenient choice. We still have much to say about it, and as you read through our article, you'll know why we're so optimistic about uShip auto transport.
Why Choose uShip Auto Transport?
The company has been around for more than 15 years, and during that time, it proved to be one of the leading car shipping services. In fact, the company offers to ship much more than vehicles, but in our article, we'll be focusing on autos. Here is why uShip is recommended:
- uShip helps you transport big stuff and heavy equipment with ease and safety. You don't even have to worry about shipping pets, livestock, freights, or boats.
- Companies and large corporations shouldn't worry about moving their desks, chairs, and even heavy stuff like printers. uShip also deals with large shipments and can maintain their safety.
- Track your shipment until it reaches its destination; you can know the exact location and when the carrier delivers it. All you need is to ask your carrier to enable share location when picking up your shipment.
- uShip has a "Shipping with Confidence" guarantee that compensates about $500 in case of damage or loss. However, the company makes it clear that similar incidents are unlikely to happen, but these options are just to make the customers rest assured that they have multiple protection backups.
How Does uShip Auto Transport Work?
Before starting the process, we're excited to tell you that uShip reaches the 50 states and more. In other words, whether your shipment is inside the US or overseas, uShip has no problem reaching both.
uShip marketplace works a bit differently. Instead of dedicating certain carriers to move your shipment at your convenience, uShip works as a bidding market bringing carriers and shippers together, where shippers list their requirements and carriers leave their bids if they have enough space and their routes align with the timeline required.
This option has its good and bad side; the good part is that shippers can choose among multiple truck drivers, but they can't be 100% sure they are professional and trustworthy. Besides, shippers need to wait for a good fit for their shipment, and in some cases, waiting for a good bid might take a long time, making it hard for those who are tight on time to find a good deal in a short amount of time.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- You can start by making a list of the things you need to move, but once we focus on auto transportation, you'll choose vehicles and boats.
- Your next step is to fill out the information about the vehicle's year, make, model, pickup location, and delivery location.
- When you're done with your list, you can choose between opening it for an auction or setting your price and seeing if someone is interested in transporting your stuff for that price.
- Meanwhile, you'll be receiving bids on your account or the uShip application. So when you find a good fit for you, a good step is to head to the reviews page and make sure that your truck driver is trustworthy and has good feedback.
- Once you're good with a bid that fits your requirements, you can pay the truck driver through the uShip platform, which maintains your payment's information security and privacy.
- Before you make a payment, make sure to contact the truck driver to see what you'll get for your money.
uShip auto transport is available all across the US and beyond, as it also works with thousands of truck drivers to help shippers find their right carriers. However, the availability of uShip depends on whether a truck driver has routes from the pick-up point and to the destination.
Types of Vehicle Transportation
There are some issues you need to think about before you get started with uShip; similar things include the truck type you want to use. This factor affects your budget, shipping time, and what elements your vehicle might be exposed to.
It's important to contact the carrier and ask about the best type of truck ideal for your vehicle and if that type is available.
Besides, let your auto transport service know if there are any special requirements. For example, transporting an SUV requires more space than a hatchback car. Budget plays an essential role in deciding which shipping type you need to choose: open shipping might be a good choice for those on budget and want to ship a used or a standard model car.
In short, the type of shipping depends on the car model, year of manufacturing, size, and how much safety means to you. However, open trailers are safe, but a closed trailer might be a more convenient choice for those who put safety first and can't even risk the 0,0001% possibility of losing their car.
Open vs. enclosed car shipping
Car shipping companies offer both open and enclosed transport types, and you can pick one or the other based on your requirements. Here are the two types and what you need to know before making up your mind:
- Closed or enclosed transport: It's best for antique vehicles, specialty cars, or any type of car you want to protect from any possible harm. The downside of this shipping is its cost, for those who want to keep the price in an affordable range won't find this way very budget-friendly.
- Open transport: This shipping type is what you need to save on your car shipping. There are also more options to choose from if you choose the open car shipping, making it your best option when you're short on time.
Trailers types options
You can also choose between multi-car trailers or hotshot trucks; these two options are open transport but vary in load and timeframes.
Multi-car trailers are usually a good option if you want to get a lower price or a discount on auto shipping because they can transport more vehicles at once over greater distances. However, if you want to ship your vehicle within a specific timeframe, this might not be your best choice; they are slower and might not be as efficient in navigating residential areas.
Hotshot trucks are also open car shipping, but they don't usually ship more than 3 vehicles. The cost isn't as cheap, though, but it's still a good option to save money compared to the enclosed car shipping cost.
|Multi-car trailers||Hotshot trucks|
|Cost||Less expensive||More expensive|
|Timeframe||Takes longer time||Takes shorter time|
uShip Auto Transprot Cost
There isn't a fixed price to discuss here, cost varies based on the distance, the type of shipping, other factors. uShip puts a bunch of quotes to choose from, and you can either set your price or list down your requirements and allow carriers to bid.
On average, shipping with uShip can cost you $1,100, but the price goes up and drops down depending on many factors, including:
- Car make and model: This factor helps the auto transport company calculate the estimated cost depending on the car's weight.
- Distance: The total mileage affects the total cost, it might be one of the main affecting factors in the whole car shipping process.
- Shipping type: Open car shipping is less expensive than enclosed car shipping, but at the end of the day, it all depends on your requirements and needs.
- Vehicle weight and length: If you choose multi-car shipping, this element will affect your cost because the more space your vehicle takes, the more you pay.
- Pick up and drop-off locations: Locations affect the cost of your car shipping; urban areas, for instance, are less costly than rural places since they have more trucks coming and going.
- Time of the year: uShip states that winter is the most expensive season because of the weather and the possible delays that may occur due to the snow and storms.
- The vehicle condition: Cars that don't work or can't be driven to the closest location if needed are more expensive to ship. You can check with your carrier to know the estimated extra fees in this case.
As we stated earlier, the cost varies based on many factors; for instance, if you have a midsize vehicle that you need to transport for a few hundred miles will cost you about $500, but for transporting a large truck across the country with an enclosed shipping type can cost you four times more.
uShip Coverage Options
Your vehicle's safety during shipping must be guaranteed with some kind of coverage or insurance. Because uShip knows how important it is to rest assured that your vehicle is in safe hands, it offers the following coverage options:
"Shipping with Confidence" guarantee
It offers about $500 in case of damage or loss. However, the company makes it clear that similar incidents are unlikely to happen, but these options are just to make the customers rest assured that they're backed up with multiple protection options.
uShip offers Cargo Insurance that you can count on in case of physical damage or theft. Unfortunately, this option doesn't apply for car shipping, but you can make use of it when shipping household items or equipment.
According to the federal government, transporters must carry insurance. However, if you choose uShip as your auto transport service, it's better to check with the carrier on their insurance status, as you can also require a copy of their insurance.
uShip supports its clients through tickets, phone, and help center. Besides offering real-time tracking to know the exact location of your carrier, the client's portal is easy and accurate. We also decided to see what customers say about uShip services; the reviews are encouraging and praise how excellent their services are.
In short, uShip is a trusted car shipping service that has been around for more than 10 years. You can choose to set a price or list out your requirements for carriers and see what fits your needs the best. In case you want to get an idea about the estimated cost, you can head to their official website, choose the car make, model, and distance, and let uShip do the calculation for you.
Yes, it offers a $500 guarantee in case of loss or damage.
Cost varies based on many factors, but the average cost is $1,100.
It offers both open and enclosed shipping types, and shippers can choose between multi-car trailers and Hotshot trucks.
uShip supports its clients through tickets, phone, and help center. Besides offering real-time tracking to know the exact location of your carrier, the client's portal is easy and accurate.
List your shipment, click Name Your Price to post your listing, communicate with carriers on the Q&A board to negotiate, and finally update your price if needed.
uShip doesn't verify carriers' insurance credentials, but shippers can check on that by requesting a copy of the carrier's insurance.
Yes, it provides a simple client portal allowing shippers to track their vehicle during the journey.
Multi-car trailers are usually a good option if you want to get a lower price or a discount on auto shipping because they can transport more vehicles at once over greater distances. Hotshot trucks are also open car shipping, but they don't usually ship more than 3 vehicles. The cost isn't as cheap, though, but it's still a good option to save money compared to the enclosed car shipping cost.