Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070003
Error code 0x80070003 is an update error that appears to Windows users while trying to update their systems. Unlike some other error codes that affect Windows 7, Windows 8, and 8.1 and Windows 10, error code 0x80070003 affects Windows 10 only.
First of all, let us try to understand this error, and then we will move to the methods of fixing it.
Error code 0x80070003 can happen due to many reasons, including missing or corrupted files, background processes and conflicting with the version you're trying to due to update to, programs running in the background and clogging the system, and malicious malware affecting some programs or the whole system and preventing you from updating.
How do I know I got error code 0x80070003?
Your Windows operating system will fail to update, and you will get a message box telling you that your device has run into the Windows error 0x80070003.
The message will read:
“Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 – Error 0x8007003”
It is worth mentioning that you will not get this error only when updating; your system can develop this error and send you the message box while you are performing basic tasks, like browsing.
We will now get into all the methods of fixing this error in our step-by-step guide.
Wait It out
This is the first thing you should think of when your update gets stuck at a certain percentage. Your update may be stuck because of a slow internet connection or issues on the server side; there is a possibility that if you wait it out, the update will proceed on its own.
However, if you receive the message box telling you that your device has run into the error code 0x80070003, then it means you need to move to the first method.
Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is designed for tasks that are related to update errors. It will find out what has gone wrong and help you fix it. Follow these steps:
- Click on the Windows Key > type "Troubleshoot" > click on Troubleshoot settings.
- Scroll down and click on Windows Update.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- This will scan your computer and find any errors and fix them.
- Reboot your system.
If the code error 0x80070003 persists, move to the next method.
Replace old Configuration file Spupdsvc.exe
The Spupdsvc.exe is an essential file of the Windows operating system; it is used to updates the Windows OS. If this file is corrupted, you may encounter 0x80070003. Here are the steps to reset it:
- Press the Windows Key > type in "command prompt" or "cmd."
- Choose Run and Administrator.
- Type the following (without the quotation marks) command and hit the enter button:
"cmd /c ren %systemroot%\System32\Spupdsvc.exe Spupdsvc.old"
- This will replace the existing old Spupdsvc.exe file with a new one.
- Restart your computer and start the update once again.
If the error code 0x80070003is still there, move to the next method.
Scan Your System for Missing or Corrupt System Files
Windows users have tools for this occasion; the System File Checker Tool (SFC) and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM). This is where users can perform a scan to look for missing or corrupt system files. This utility tool does not only scan and find missing or corrupt files; it also replaces them with the needed files. Here is how you can run this tool:
- Go to Start > type Command Prompt or CMD.
- Right-click > run as Administrator.
- Type "sfc /scannow" (There has to be a space between “sfc” and “/scannow”).
- The tool will start scanning your computer.
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator > type in DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and press Enter.
- Windows will start scanning.
- After it finishes scanning, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth.
- All problems found during the scan will be fixed.
After running the scan, you can check if the error code has been resolved; this is how you can do that:
- Go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.
- Update your Windows operating system. If error code 0x800704c7 persists, you will need to move to the next method below.
Check for and Remove Malware
It is possible that there is a virus or malware on your device that keeps your update stuck and causes the error code 0x80070003. You can download Malwarebytes for free to scan your device for any malware.
Once Malwarebytes is downloaded and installed on your device, go to the main dashboard and click on "Scan." If any malware is found, you need to quarantine it and restart your PC. Having done so, you can try to update again and check if the error is gone.
If Malwarebytes finds no malware or the error doesn't go away, you can move to the next step.
Turn off Your Antivirus
Antiviruses are a must nowadays. As much as your computer needs to have an antivirus, keep in mind that having your antivirus on will interfere with your system and block certain processes.
All you need to do in this case is turn off your antivirus software temporarily to allow the update to proceed. After the update is installed successfully, you can turn on your antivirus again.
Restore your system
As a last resort, you can turn to this method. This is a manual repair. It is a fix that is used for multiple Windows errors, including error code 0x80070003. This is one of the few methods that do not require advanced technical knowledge and skills and can be performed by anyone. All you have to do is follow the simple steps we have provided below to restore your system to a previous period of time (like a checkpoint) where the error has not yet been there.
- Search for Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel search bar, look for Recovery.
- Click on Open System Restore.
- Click on Next and select a restore point from the list. (These restore points are created when you install software updates).
- Click on Finish.
You need to be patient as all of the mentioned steps need time.
If you want to make sure you don't have to go and Google "Windows error 0x80070003" or any other Windows error ever again, you can take some precautionary steps.
Avast Cleanup Premium is a versatile tool provided by Avast; it is a standalone program that you can download on your computer to keep it clean and lag-free. Some of the services provided by Avast Cleanup Premium include, but are not limited to, updating your computer and all programs so smoothly and making sure no program goes outdated.
Avast Cleanup Premium also has a tool for removing bloatware and unnecessary programs and tools that might slow down your computer by clogging the system.
So, what you can do is install the Cleanup tool and let it do all the work while you sit back in your chair and relax.