3 Best Free Antivirus for Linux in 2021
Since 1991, Linux has developed to become more secure than Windows. That doesn’t mean you don’t need an antivirus to protect it from different viruses and malware. It’s hard to find an antivirus that’s compatible with Linux, so can you imagine how hard it is to find an excellent free antivirus for Linux?
After testing a few, we’ve made a list of our top 3 free antivirus protection for Linux in 2021. If you're a Linux user on a budget, you might want to climb abroad to find out the best free antivirus for your device.
As I mentioned above, Linux is more secure than Windows. Despite Windows offering its own antivirus Microsoft Defender, it’s not enough to keep you safe alone. Likewise, Linux users should take extra measures and download an antivirus, but what security features does the software offer? Let’s take a look at a few:
- User Accounts: Linux has one main account to control other accounts. Basically, others won’t be able to download any unauthorized program.
- Linux is open-source: Anyone can detect a flow in the source code to make it more secure
- File permissions: Three sets of file permissions depending on who you want to give access to, to keep them secure.
- Malware Protection: There are a couple of ways that are used to protect your device from malware. These include:
- Software supplied in the form of a package, not a program
- You need to mark a program as executable for it to work
- Need to approve plug-ins in a web browser.
All of these features and a few more are offered, yet they’re not enough to protect from new malware and viruses that might attack your device. It’s better to be safe than sorry by downloading an antivirus for Linux.
Best Free Antivirus for Linux
ClamAV is our number one antivirus for Linux. Not only is it for free, but it’s compatible with multiple software, and it’s open-source. That’s right; users can edit the directory using ClamAV's sigtool function.
Advanced users will be happy with ClamAV’s; they’ll have control and offers the right features like:
- Scan specific folders
- Whitelisting software as safe
- Delete suspicious files
- Malware scanning
- Mail server scanning
The problem with it is, it’s not the easiest to use for beginners. Still, they can use ClamTk since it’s easier to use with different scanning options.
Sophos is another excellent antivirus in the market. It’s safe, easy to use, and an excellent antivirus for Linux software. It’s even faster and requires less CPU than ClamAV. Let’s take a look at what It has to offer:
- Anti-malware protection
- Real-time protection
- Remote control: Through their online dashboard
- Parental control: Basic parental control to block certain websites
This is a good option for beginners, even better than ClamTk. There are tutorials to help you get the hang of it.
The problem with Sophos is it lacks ransomware protection. However, it’s still a good option to provide extra security for your device. Plus, if you like it, you can purchase the premium version.
3. Rootkit Hunter
Our last free antivirus for Linux recommendation is Rootkit Hunter. A Rootkit is a type of malware that’s hard to detect because it won’t be visible, but it’ll allow cybercriminals to access your computer remotely. It’s dangerous, you might lose all your data, and you need an excellent antivirus to detect them.
That’s when Rootkit Hunter saves the day; it’ll be able to protect you from any existing rootkits and track down new ones. The good news is it’s completely free and uses a low CPU. The bad news is it’s not easy to use and recommended for advanced users.
Overall, Rootkit Hunter is an excellent option if you’re an advanced user looking to detect malware and the hard to notice Rootkit virus.
Overall, Linux does offer great security, but it’s better to take an extra step by downloading an antivirus for protection. Plus, with these three antiviruses, you wouldn’t be paying a cent.
Although free versions are great and offer good security, paying a small amount for antivirus will provide you with better features and protection. That’s why it’s recommended to buy Bitdefender or Kaspersky for excellent protection.
It’s your choice!
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Software in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with every plan
- Anti-Phishing and anti-fraud protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Safe Online Banking and interactions
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense
- Cost effective system optimizer option
- Includes a password manager
- Effective performance optimizer
- Award-winning antivirus
- Password manager
- Cross-device protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats