Defencebyte Antivirus Review: Tools for Protection
Antivirus companies often try selling a complete bundle of tools that are supposed to bring users ultimate security. However, sometimes users seek much simpler tools, with no need for intricate bundles.
Defencebyte brings users four different packages with no overlapping features, so users can choose a more personalized product to serve whatever purpose they need.
But are these products worth it? And do they do their job well enough?
How does Defencebyte antivirus fare against its competition, and is it worth it?
Keep reading to find out...
The major point when buying an antivirus is how secure the product is, so we ask the question, can Defencebyte antivirus protect our devices from viruses, malware, and other causes of harm?
To answer that, we check the following regarding security and protection:
1. Third-party lab test results
When checked, Defencebyte antivirus lacked data from third-party testing labs, including AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, and SE Labs. This makes it hard to assess, as third-party labs test many harmful files that can be found across the internet, making them a good source to assess an antivirus's security.
2. Firewall and IDS protection
Defencebyte antivirus lacks a firewall which means your device will have to use the Windows Defender Firewall. A firewall monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic providing users with an intruder detection system (IDS) to protect users from possible threats that might harm their devices.
3. USB Rescue ToolKit
Defencebyte antivirus doesn't provide a USB rescue toolkit. A USB rescue toolkit is the last line of defense backup mechanism, which can be used by pre-installing the rescue toolkit on a USB or disk, which is then used when your device won't start up due to harmful software, or when a malware that is dependent on your device booting has infected your device.
Defencebyte has four products that provide different features based on user needs, these are the Antivirus-Pro, Anti-Ransomware, Privacy and Security, Computer Optimization products.
It's important to note that Defencebyte antivirus is compatible only with Windows.
Details on the products are as follows:
1. Defencebyte Antivirus-Pro
The Antivirus-Pro product is the backbone and main product to protect users from different dangers you might encounter. It provides several features to keep users safe, including:
- Scanning and detection of hidden malicious files: Defencebyte Antivirus-Pro can efficiently and adequately detect and remove hidden malicious software that normally won't be detected, keeping your device safe so that you can enjoy your time worry-free.
- Network Protection: A network acts as a shared living space for your device and other users in the event a security breach affects someone's device on the network, or if a foreign device connects to your network, then your living space is in danger.
Network protection makes sure no harm can affect your device through malware attempting to spread through the network.
- ID theft protection: When checking statistics and numbers of identity theft, according to some statistics, 1 in 15 people worldwide have experienced some form of ID theft. This number is thought to be double in some countries such as the US.
With ID theft protection, you can rest assured that your identity remains safe from different hacking and phishing attempts.
- Payment protection: Did you know that approximately 92% of currency in the world is digital currency? That's right, nowadays, using digital currency using bank transactions and paying by card is much more prevalent than using cash.
Since online payment deals strictly with this digital currency, it seems necessary to find ways to protect yourself from possible online theft. Defencebyte payment protection can help you here, making sure your online transactions are risk-free.
2. Defencebyte Anti-Ransomware
Defencebyte Anti-Ransomware is, as the name suggests, a specialist against ransomware. It doesn't provide extra features, as that is left for the other products. So what does Defencebyte Anti-Ransomware exactly do?
- Scheduled scanning: In the modern world, time is of the essence; delays, even when unintentional, can cause great losses. This rule isn't different when considering ransomware scanning, but everything has its proper timing.
The scheduled scanning feature makes sure you can plan ahead of time when you want your system scanned so you can be sure that you're investing your time properly and efficiently while keeping your device safe.
- Remediation and rollback: Rollback is a mechanism that restores files to their state prior to encryption by ransomware software.
- Assured Automatic and Live Updates: Recent statistics suggest that over 500,000 new malware are created and detected daily. If we've learned anything throughout the years, it's that their creators become more creative by the day.
To keep up with every new ransomware out there, an automatic update is provided so you can be sure that your protection is up to date.
3. Defencebyte Privacy and Security
The Privacy and Security product focuses on ensuring your online experience remains private by providing several perks. That being said, here are some of the main features provided by Defencebyte Privacy and Security product:
- File Shredder: When deleting files, a small amount of data remains, and in some cases, this data can be recovered. When dealing with sensitive files, such risk must be mitigated. Using the file shredder function makes sure the data can't be recovered with no trace behind as if it never existed.
- Password Protector: Passwords and login credentials are integrating into our social ID little by little. Using a password protector can ensure you remain safe when dealing with websites online.
- Sandbox test environment: Some malware might not be registered in any antivirus directory when they are fresh and new. These can cause a lot of harm if they infect a device, so what is the solution to this newly born never seen before malware?
A sandbox test environment acts to check how a certain file acts when attempting to start it in an isolated, contained environment that can't affect the rest of your device, so even if the malware is new, if it acts as malware inside the test environment it will be detected and dealt with accordingly.
- Live-updates: Automatic updates to make sure all the recent emerging threats can be dealt with adequately.
4. Defencebyte Computer Optimizer
The computer optimizer acts as a cleanup tool to remove any files that may slow down and take space from your device's resources. It provides users with the following:
- Block Unwanted URL: The Computer Optimizer makes sure you can block pesky URLs that pop up all the time, which can be annoying at times. In addition, it doubles as a partial parental control, blocking websites that might be inappropriate for your child, making sure you remain safe.
- PC Performance Improvement: Your device can get clogged up with time, as more and more unless files pile up.
PC performance optimizers are cleanup tools that can remove useless files, including empty registry keys, erase uninstalled entries, erase invalid paths and programs, eradicate non-existent shared DLLs, and delete useless file extensions.
Among the major extra features provided by antiviruses, Defencebyte antivirus stands as follows:
Defencebyte provides a password protector as part of its Security and Privacy product.
Repetitive use of the same password, over and over, could get you hacked across all your accounts when hacked on one. On the other hand, using many passwords puts you at risk of forgetting them. Password managers are the perfect solution.
Defencebyte antivirus doesn’t provide a parental control feature. However, with the computer optimizer, a URL blacklist function is available.
Parental control allows worried parents to take care of their children and make sure they are surfing safe parts of the internet and when they are allowed to do so.
Although Defencebyte doesn't have parental control per se, however, with the computer optimizer product, a blacklist function that can block certain URLs is available, which functions as a primitive parental control tool.
If you think a complete version of parental control is essential for you, including which and when websites are blocked, I recommend using Norton 360 or Bitdefender instead.
Defencebyte antivirus doesn't have a premium VPN service.
VPN is a tool that is meant to provide protection and security and even view geo-restricted content (i.e., content that isn't available in your country). Using a VPN will encrypt your data with 256-bit encryption and makes it impossible to decipher without the decypher key, keeping online information secure from hackers.
Defencebyte antivirus doesn’t provide online backup.
The presence of encrypted online backup can give peace of mind, especially when one has sensitive documents relating to work, personal, and sensitive files. With the online backup, a user can find his files saved in the event the main files are lost, which can prove helpful.
Defencebyte antivirus provides a great user experience for users, be it in the form of the scan, which can be optimized to either quick scan, custom scan, or deep scan to suit your needs. It also provides a simple-to-use user interface regardless of the product. On the other hand, the customer support seemed a bit lacking, as we had a bit of trouble navigating the website for information.
1. Ease of use
The user interface is easy to use with a left-hand side menu to navigate sections. The overview section will show you the general situation. Last, scan a large scan button to start scanning with the option to change the type of scanning from below.
Accessing the utility tools is possible from the tabs above; changing settings can be done by the settings icon from the bottom right or the manage tab from above. It is fairly easy to navigate through the application easily.
2. Customer support
In terms of customer support, the following methods of contact are available for users when they need help:
- Knowledge base
- Email and ticketing
Defencebyte antivirus prices per plan summarized in a table:
|Plan||Antivirus-Pro||Anti-Ransomware||Privacy Shield||Computer Optimizer|
Payment methods include:
- Major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard)
Defencebyte antivirus provides users with a 30-day trial period to try their premium product to make sure they are satisfied with the product.
In addition to the 30-days trial, a 30-day money-back guarantee is also available, adding up to 60 days of risk-free use of Defencebyte antivirus until you make up your mind.
Is Defencebytes worth it? Defencebyes offers users a large number of services without forcing them to adhere to all of them. You can choose a specific service and exclude the other, which sounds nice.
In terms of security, we can't be 100% sure. It passed our tests against malware. However, a small sample is hardly enough to judge an antivirus as absolutely safe. The lack of third-party testing is our biggest issue, as third-party testing labs would expose antiviruses to a more than adequate sample.
Still, it definitely provides some great properties that make any antivirus secure, such as the sandboxing environment to test a program without risking infection or the rollback on ransomware that ensures your files won't be encrypted.