Comodo Antivirus Full Review: Cloud Based Protection
Based in The U.S, Clifton, New Jersey, Comodo Security Solutions Inc. is one of the best companies for next-generation open-source cybersecurity, with the industry's most disruptive innovations.
Comodo utilizes groundbreaking auto containment technology that neutralizes ransomware, malware, and cyber-attacks helping customers stop breaches.
Comodo's complete cloud-native framework protects against zero-day threats. Comodo's cybersecurity products utilize a high level of intelligence sharing between every platform component, therefore providing superior overall security. Comodo offers the very first open-source endpoint detection and response (EDR) system.
Comodo believes that an open-source model using community-powered collaboration will ensure that every organization has access to the industry's most sophisticated endpoint detection and response.
Comodo's team and threat intelligence laboratories deliver innovative security solutions for thousands of companies' endpoints, network boundaries, and internal networks.
Comodo Antivirus Security and Protection
An antivirus's protective ability is an essential factor when choosing an antivirus, while the extra features are considered a luxury more often than not. In this section, we will discuss Comodo's security concerning the following elements:
1. Third-party lab test results
In regards to antivirus security, how should an antivirus protection assessment be measured? Do we take the words of the AV creators for their own devices? The best way to assess an antivirus on its functionality is by using a third-party antivirus testing lab.
In terms of AV-labs available tests, the latest data available on Comodo antivirus dated back to 2019.
- Comodo scores are high on protection. It gets a 6/6 score on its ability to detect malicious ware.
- Comodo antivirus scores 5.5/6 in the impact on device performance department, which means it won't take up much of your device's resources.
- Comodo antivirus has a low false-positive rate with a 5.5/6 usability score. This means it's unlikely to mistake regular files for harmful ones.
Regarding AV-comparatives, Comodo lacks data. Hence it won't be discussed further.
For a more comprehensively reviewed antivirus product with more third-party data products read our top recommendations Norton 360 and Bitdefender.
According to SE Labs:
- Comodo antivirus scored (AA) overall with a total accuracy rating of 94%.
- Comodo antivirus had 730/750 with 97% legitimate accuracy, meaning it could differentiate accurately the products classify legitimate applications and URLs.
- In terms of protection, Comodo antivirus detected 100 out of 100, blocked 99, and neutralized 1. This Earned it a protection score of 100/100.
- Comodo antivirus had a protection accuracy rating of 347/399 (87%).
SE Labs rank products from AAA being the highest score, AA (intermediate), and B (lowest score).
2. Firewall and IDS protection
Comodo antivirus provides firewall service for its users of both the free and premium versions. It can be toggled on and off from the main user interface. The intrusion detection system (IDS) works in random with the host intrusion prevention system (IPS), based on behavioral analysis to protect your network from threats.
As for firewall customization, it is done through the advanced settings menu.
Comodo antivirus firewall helps with:
- Blocking all unauthorized incoming and outgoing traffic to your computer.
- Stealth your device on the network avoiding hackers by remaining undetected.
- Specify website access limitation, functioning as a parental control tool.
- Maintain detailed logs, including activity and connection assisting with troubleshooting.
- Isolation of your internet browser in a virtual container preventing hackers from reaching your info.
3. USB rescue toolkit
Comodo Internet Security doesn't provide a USB rescue toolkit.
A USB rescue toolkit can be a handy tool if some malware bypasses your antivirus lines of defense. A USB rescue toolkit acts as a second line of defense, ensuring a fix is possible if you can't boot up your device.
Plans and Features
Comodo antivirus has a free version and a premium paid version.
1. Comodo Free Internet Security antivirus
It provides users with many more extra features than other free antiviruses making it one of the best free antiviruses out there.
It provides protection for your device against all sorts of malware, including viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, backdoors, rootkits, adware, and other malware infections. It even protects against zero-day threats as a free antivirus.
Some of the security features include:
- Default deny approach that denies access to files until they are proven as safe.
- Containment is a feature that works in tandem with the default deny approach by placing suspected files in a contained environment and running them without affecting the safety of your device.
- Host intrusion prevention system (HIPS) utilizes behavior analysis to prevent malicious attacks from entering your device before it's too late, providing an extra layer of monitoring security.
HIPS is by default turned off and required users to turn it on manually to use it.
Complete Comodo Internet Security antivirus version.
2. Comodo Complete Internet Security antivirus
The full-paid version provides users with extra features in addition to the ones already provided by the free version, including:
- Defense+ Technology protects the critical system files and stops malware before it installs.
- Auto Sandbox Technology functions by running all unknown files in an isolated environment where they can cause no damage while assessing their threat.
- Cloud-based antivirus utilizes a cloud base to find and eliminate any existing malware hiding in your device.
- Secure shopping provides users with an on-screen keyboard for keylogger prevention, an isolated web browser to prevent hackers from reaching your info, screenshot prevention, copy-paste protection, and HTTPS inspection. This allows users to purchase online risk-free.
- Unlimited live expert virus removal provides you with a way to remove infections that slip past your antivirus via antivirus experts.
- $500 virus-free guarantee in the event a virus slips past the antivirus, and the expert antivirus removal help doesn't work; a $500 refund is applicable.
- 50GB online storage & backup to keep your important files safe.
- 10GB trust connect providing users with a proxy internet connection with encryption (VPN) to secure the network you're on, which is especially important when dealing with public networks.
Comodo antivirus is only compatible with Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Vista, and XP regarding device compatibility.
Comodo TrustConnect (VPN)
Comodo TrustConnect provides users with a way to secure their data when browsing the internet from an unsafe connection, thus encrypting their connection and masking their IP addresses. However, this service is limited to 10GBs of traffic.
This VPN service is not meant to be for P2P as it's not allowed on their network, and in terms of streaming, it's not the best in bypassing geo-restricted content. Rather this service is meant for safe internet surfing by protecting your connection.
Supported protocols include PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN (Recommended for safety).
Comodo's user interface is user-friendly, with easy-to-navigate options, including a scan button that can help you chose the type of scan you want to proceed with. The setting menu grants you access to modify specific features, including the firewall.
Customer support is available in live support, which can be accessed from the user interface by clicking on the live support; this takes you to live chat with an expert technician.
A forum with user guides is available for users to use when needed. A ticket system with a return e-mail is also available. Paid products provide support via phone call as well.
Pricing and Payments
Comodo has only one plan in pricing and can be purchased for one year for one device or three devices. I find this to be a bit rigid compared to other antiviruses, which allow you to customize the plan to your needs. It is important to note that the price upon renewal doesn't change or increase.
For a single device plan for one year, Comodo Complete Internet Security costs $29.99.
For a three device plan for one year, Comodo Complete Internet Security costs $39.99.
|Plan||Comodo Complete Internet Security|
Comodo provides a 30-day money-back guarantee policy, so you can try their antivirus and judge for yourself if it does the job well.
In addition to the money-back guarantee, a $500 virus-free guarantee is provided if a virus slips past the antivirus, and the expert antivirus removal help doesn't work.
Available payment methods for customers include:
- Major credit cards (American Express, Visa, Mastercard, JCB, etc.).
Comodo antivirus provides a very neat free antivirus with many extra features typically not available in other antiviruses. Unfortunately, the same cant be said about the paid version of the product.
The lack of up-to-date third-party tests, along with the addition of the paid version to the free version, isn't that huge and runs short relative to competitors such as Norton 360 and Bitdefender.
Yes, Comodo antivirus provides firewall protection to its users.
Yes, Comodo offers a free version with many features.
Yes, Comodo provides a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as, a $500 virus-free guarantee in the event a virus infects your device and cant be removed.
Comodo is compatible with Windows devices only.
Yes, Comodo provides a VPN service under the name Comodo TrustConnect, it's limited to 10GB traffic though.