MacKeeper Review: Is It Safe to Use in 2021?
If you search MacKeeper on a search engine, you'll find multiple sources telling you either to uninstall it or about its horrible reputation. The truth is MacKeeper has changed and offers plenty of features compared to the past. It can maximize your device's performance without impacting the system along with theft protection tools. The question remains, is it good enough to keep your Mac safe? Keep reading to find out.
Pros & Cons
MacKeeper offers the same features in every plan, but it all depends if you’re paying monthly or up to 2-years in advance. It’s expensive compared to other antiviruses recommended for Macs, but the longer you pay, the lower the price and the better value for money offered. Prices range between $10.95/month or $89.40/year for 3 devices.
Plans come with plenty of beneficial features, some of which aren't even offered by competitors. But we’ll get into the details later.
The good news is, you can use MacKeeper for free but with limited features. Hence, you won’t have advanced features like memory cleaner or VPN, but you’ll have access to the “Find and Fix” scan to check for any security issues with the device, which is beneficial.
In case you change your mind after paying, there’s a 14-day money-back guarantee with all plans. If you exceed the 14-days, you’ll get a partial refund depending on how long you’ve been using the software. To get a refund, you’ll have to contact customer service.
Ease of Use
You don't have to be a programmer to download MacKeeper; you can simply download the file from their website, open it, and follow the instructions. It'll take a few minutes before you have to start and activate the features you'll be using, like the VPN.
The interface is straightforward, you can find the features on the left side, and in case of an emergency, the live chat is on the right side. The features are displayed in the center with their functions.
To use the antivirus scan, you'll have to open the Internet Security tab and choose Antivirus, then the scan you want, either custom or a full scan.
Overall, it's recommended for beginners since it's easy to use, and in case of any problem, they can just refer to the live chat on the right side.
MacKeeper has customer support that's available on different communication channels. These channels include live chat, phone support, email, and FAQs. They're available 24/7 on both live chat and the phone.
Let's start by talking about their live chat. As I previously mentioned, it's integrated into their dashboard on the right side. If you want to contact an agent, they'll need a few minutes before replying. They're not the most reliable, so you can't depend on them to answer any question. Email support is similar to live chat, but it'll take a longer time for the team to answer you. It's frustrating.
On the other hand, phone support is a great option; they have numbers from the US, UK, and Australia. Within a few seconds, you'll be able to talk to an agent, and they're very helpful. Lastly, you can refer to their FAQs page on their website for information and tutorials to guide you through any issue you face.
MacKeeper comes with plenty of features to keep your device safe. They include the following:
- Antivirus Scanner: To scan for viruses and malicious files.
- Adware Cleaner: To detect adware on your device, and it’ll take a few minutes.
- ID Theft Guard: For protection against identity theft, you can start by adding your email to MacKeeper, and it’ll detect whether any data has been revealed.
- Unlimited VPN: To browse the internet anonymously, protect your data from cybercriminals and unblock geo-restricted content.
- StopAd: To stop ads and trackers from following your online activity, but it’s added as an extension to your browser.
- Safe Cleanup: To scan your device for junk files.
- Duplicate Finder: To look for duplicate files taking space on your device.
- Smart Uninstaller: To help you deleted unused apps, browser extensions, and more.
- Memory Cleaner: To see how your RAM is being used, and it’ll help you free up some memory.
- Update Tracker: To keep track of any updates your device or applications need.
- Login Items: To stop items that launch when starting your device.
All of these features are good to keep your Mac safe, so you’ll be getting plenty of features which is worth it. Yet, many people refrain from using MacKeeper due to its history; they used to fool users to pay for unnecessary fixes. Other antivirus software’s like Norton, Bitdefender, and Intego are more accurate and offer plenty of other features.
Do We Recommend It?
To be honest, MacKeeper has plenty of features and has come a long way in developing good antivirus software, but it’s nothing compared to its competitors Intego and Norton. If you’re looking to take an extra step and pay a little price, you should consider getting Intego for excellent security for your Mac.
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Software in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with every plan
- Anti-Phishing and anti-fraud protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Safe Online Banking and interactions
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense
- Cost effective system optimizer option
- Includes a password manager
- Effective performance optimizer
- Award-winning antivirus
- Password manager
- Cross-device protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats