Avast Antivirus Review: Why you Shouldn't use it in 2021?
We've talked to you before about why you need an antivirus whether you're a Mac, Windows, or Linux user. It doesn't matter; it's better to keep your device safe. The problem is you shouldn't download any antivirus; some of them sell their users' data as Avast antivirus did.
Avast antivirus came with excellent protection for FREE, and users were satisfied with their service until the Avast Scandal came to light in 2019. Avast sold their data to third parties. As a result, they broke their customers' trust and ruined their reputation. Today, in 2021, Avast antivirus is still in service, but is it safe to use?
Let's dig deeper and see everything you need to know about Avast's Antivirus in 2021.
Pros & Cons
Avast Antivirus Plans & Pricing
You don't have a lot of options when it comes to Avast antivirus. You choose whether you want the free version or the premium one. While the free version offers a lot of features compared to other competitors, their premium plans aren't the best value for money that you'll be paying. Other antiviruses like Bitdefender offer excellent features with every plan.
Let's take a look at the details of Avast antivirus plans:
|Avast Security||Avast Premium Security||Avast Ultimate|
|Compatibility||Windows, Android, Mac, & iOS||Windows, Android, Mac, & iOS||Windows, Android, Mac, & iOS|
|Blocks Viruses & Malware||Available||Available||Available|
|Blocks Web Trackers||Available||Available||Available|
|Scan for Wi-Fi Security Weakness||Available||Available||Available|
|Get Real-Time Wi-Fi Security Alerts||Not Available||Available||Available|
|Stop Ransomware||Not Available||Available||Available|
All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Avast Antivirus Ease of Use
As soon as you open the software, you'll be happy to see a gift offered by the Avast antivirus team. It's a discount on their premium package, but there's an X on the top-right if you don't want to purchase it. That's when a free trial pops up, and it's up to you if you're willing to give it a try or not. It's easy to navigate through all that, but activating some features is annoying and with the constant upsells, not to mention their deceptive menu options. You're going to be disappointed.
Avast Antivirus Customer Support
If you're a premium user, you'll get support 24/7; they're helpful and will reply within a few minutes. However, if you're using the free version, you can only refer to the Avast antivirus extensive knowledge base. It's full of detailed articles that guide you if you face any problem.
The Avast Features
Avast antivirus was the most popular free antivirus with over 400 million users worldwide. Other than the free version, there must be something that makes it so special. Let's take a look at the features available in both their free and their premium plans:
Avast Antivirus Free Plan's Features:
- Smart Scan: Detects any threat in outdated apps, browsers, or hidden malware.
- Full Virus Scan: Full scan for any viruses takes a long time but detects any threat
- Boot-Time Scan: For advanced malware that reinstalls itself on files outside the operating system. Boot-Time scan will restart your device and check for any malware or suspicious programs.
- Wi-Fi Scanner: Discovers any device connected to your router and points out any weaknesses like default passwords.
- Password Manager: Saves your username and password but lacks advanced features like warnings of weak passwords.
Avast's Premium Plans:
The Avast antivirus premium plans come with the same features as the free version and a few extras as follows:
- Real-time Wi-Fi Security Alerts
- Ransomware Scanner: Scans for ransomware on your device.
- VPN (Ultimate Plan): Browse the internet privately by hiding your IP address
- Multi-device option: Secure up to 10 devices
- Secure Erase Function: Deletes files by overwriting them multiple times to remove any traces from the device.
It's not worth paying for the premium version. In fact, if you're willing to pay, it's better to go with Norton 360's antivirus; it has excellent security features to protect you from anything.
Briefly, it all started in 2013, when Avast antivirus acquired Jumpshot, a subsidiary company that collects anonymous data and sells it to big corporations. Avast has sold its users' data to third-party companies like Google, Home Depot, Pepsi, and a couple more. This doesn't only include information about the websites you've visited, but it includes the user's location, age, gender, social media identity, search history, and shipping information. They've crossed the line and lost many people's trust.
Do we recommend it?
Overall, Avast antivirus has a fully-featured free version. They provide good security features and protection for your device. However, they did sell their users' data, which leaves us questioning their product. That's why, after the Avast Scandal, I think it's better to go with one of our trusted antiviruses. These include:
Despite some of them not having a free version, they are the top best with excellent features like VPN, password manager, and more. Not to mention their top-notch security and low impact on the device, this way, you wouldn't worry about any scandal.
To summarize, these are the best Antivirus Services in 2021…
- Advanced features
- Cloud storage available
- Parental control available
- Free Bitdefender VPN with Every Plan
- Anti-Phishing and Anti-Fraud Protection
- Money-Refund Guarantee in 30- Days
- Safe Online Banking and Interactions
- Award-Winning Antivirus
- Password Manager
- Cross-Device Protection
- Encrypted storage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Free VPN with every plan
- Mac optimization tools
- Cloud-based security
- Designed to block the latest Mac threats
- Excellent virus detection
- Ransomeware protection
- Includes VPN